Vacancy: Research Team Member
The Department of International Relations, Institute of Political Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University invites applications from Ph.D. candidates for the position of a member of the research team of the project HYDRA: Hybrid Revolutionary Actors in Global Politics, a multiannual project funded by the Charles University under the title PRIMUS/17/HUM/24.
Focusing primarily on the case of ISIS, the project introduces the category ‘hybrid revolutionary actors’ (HRAs) in global politics, defined by dispersed and heterogeneous subjectivity, recoding sovereignty as a constitutive norm of the global order, and engagement in translocal revolutionary practices. By doing so it seeks to refine the understanding of the ISIS’ phenomenon; but also, through a comparative analysis of other selected cases of HRAs in the Westphalian order (revolutionary Shi’a actors, the quietist Salafi, PLO and the Bolsheviks), to engage in building a theory of hybrid revolutionary agency, making visible forces both disruptive to and generative of this order, and thus contributing to critical investigations of
sovereignty, global order and change. HYDRA uses research strategies inspired by recent discursive, practice and material turns in international relations to interrogate the dynamic processes of production of HRAs subjectivities with a particular attention to their hybrid spatialities (territorially anchored but also ‘unbundled); and the mutually constitutive effects of these subjectivities and the normative orders in global politics, (re-)produced in repeated collective performances (for more information, see https://www.facebook.com/hra.research/).
The project is projected to run until 12/2020. The successful applicant will be offered a one-year contract with the possibility of extension. S/he will work on theoretical elaboration of the project as well as empirical tasks.
- Enrolment in a Ph.D. programme in Political Science, International Relations, Sociology, Anthropology, Middle Eastern Studies, or a related field
- Fluency in English (working of knowledge of Arabic or Russian would be an advantage);
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: the contemporary Middle East politics (especially with focus on Iraq and Syria), nonstate actors in international politics, Poststructuralist political thought, critical perspectives in International Relations, modern history of Russia, or interpretative methodologies.
- A fixed stipend of 5 000,00 CZK / month;
- Work on a theoretically explorative project in a diverse and stimulating research environment;
- Prospect of co-authorship of academic articles to be submitted to leading journals in the field.
In case of interest, please submit the following documents to email@example.com no later than October 26, 2018:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A cover letter explaining what aspects of the project you would be interested in and how you see yourself fit in it;
- The dissertation project.